side trim removal

i'm sure this has been covered quite a few times on the list but i've got a few question on removing the side trim...first of all, my car has recently been painted (not by me) and it is a slightly darker red than the tornado red...well i'm pretty sure they removed the side trim when they (PO or whomever painted the car) painted the car...two things lead me to believe this, first the paint under the trim matches the rest of the car, and two, the trim pieces are really easy to pull off...i've take two off already just pulling them...didn't even need the hair dryer to loosen the glue...my question however, is what is the best way to get the glue underneath off of the car?...what implement should i use to scrape off and what will help this along (wd40?)...is this where the hair dryer will help out?  someone have a webpage covering this or know of one?  thanks again, TIA

-doug