Re: Warpig turns 190k/ project updates

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:58:42 -0400 Scott Williams <sfwilliams@home.com>
writes:
> Woohoo! On the way back from the Deleware Drive (VW fun run) my
> little Warpiggy turned the 190,000 mile mark. I can't think of a more
> fitting way for it to happen. And to top it off, I was doing 105 mph at
the
> time!  :^)
Yeah, that was a lot of fun.
I have new found respect for my GTI. 8^)

When is the ride that you planned?

> Other news is that my Scirocco project has taken even more
> interesting turns for the better. If the deal goes as planned I'll
shortly be
> the owner of a... 6-speed transmission. The purchase price is $1000
> -complete with Velocity 80% diff lock kit! Good deal, eh? It is
> based on a 16v box, too. I'm buying a 4.23 final drive for the Warpig
and
> thus will have it's 3.89 to transplant into the new 6-speed.
>
> I'm also pretty sure that I'll be picking up Dirk's 50mm 16v intake
> manifold.
Cool, that's a great price.

> Who out there as experience with this? Does all the
> low-end torque go down the drain? I figure that if it subtracts 10hp
from
> the bottom but adds it to the top I can live with that. As it is, I'll
> be running a lower than stock final drive plus a worked 2-liter motor
> (Schrick 260s/ extrude honed and ported head). What is the consensus
> out there for a set up like this? Will this be a gutless wonder below
4k
> rpms? I don't mind terribly if it has stock 1.8-ish performance off
> the line but I don't want any less than that.

When I installed a 50 mm on Rich's 2.0L, it lost very little on the
bottom end, but gained a lot on the mid range and the high rpms.

Between the 3.89 final gear ratio and a 2.0L bottom end, it will be much
stronger than 1.8 16V-ish performance off the line.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V