Re: '85 questions

--- "Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@core.com> wrote:
>   please note the "'" as i'm sure many of you'd have a
> heart attack if i
> did have 85 questions for you.

Nah, they'd just hit "delete."

> 1) i know there is no power-steering. so i have a belt
> going from my
> alternator to my compressor. from there i should have a
> belt going to
> what? the bottom of my water pump to the crankshaft?

Yep - two belts.  One from the alternator to the a/c
compressor.  The other goes to compressor / waterpump /
crankshaft.

> 2) this one i need help on. i went in today and got an
> inner cv boot
> (drivers side, if it matters). brought it home, it was
> too small. took
> it back and the guy said i must have a 16v cv joint.
> thing is, afaik,
> this is the original trans and the 16v's didn't come
> around until '86.5.

It's the original tranny, but a couple of the '85s I've had
had 100mm cvs.  Odd but true...

> 3) finally got the trans/clutch back on the car. stared
> up with no
> problems (though i still need to fix the vacuum leaks and
> the hole in
> the exhaust by the cat). however, while i was inside i
> noticed that i
> wasn't reading any rpm's. any ideas to why? the v-belts
> weren't tight,
> if it matters. everything else seemed fine, though.

It *was* working...  hmm, bad wire to the coil?
Disconnected?  Check that out.

Oh, and I assume that the "clanking" noise is no more.  :)

> 4) i also tried out my rear wiper (my '86 doesn't have
> one, so i'm new
> at this), however it didn't work. from what i understood,
> you press
> forward on the wiper arm and the rear arm comes on. this
> was not the
> case. i plan to check the fuse, but are there any other
> poblems taht i
> should be aware of?

Not that I know of really...  sounds like it *should* work.
 After checking the fuse (relay too perhaps) see if you've
got power at the motor.

> 5) the car also has a moon roof (cool!) and the gasket
> looks in dire
> need of replacing. any other place to get on, other than
> the dealer, and
> for a reasonable price?

C'mon, you know who to call.  :)

> 6) anyone know if the checked and/or striped cloth for
> the upholstery is
> made by anyone anymore?

Not a clue, but if you find out let me know.

> 8) the car is 'black' which is a dark charcoal gery
> colour. any
> suggestions on accenting colours? :)

Hmmm....   Purple comes to mind.  :)

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'81 Pickup
'82 Pickup
'85 & '87 Scirocco 8v
'87 & '88 Scirocco 16v
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening."  -Lane Wallace.