Re: Best coolant?

Chris DeLong wrote:

> If you dont use the dealer antifreeze in a Vanagon it causes excessive
> electrolysis in the cooling system and consequently corrodes the aluminum
> heads and block where the head gasket is. This applies to any aluminum head
> whether or not it has an iron block. Bottom line: Do you want your head to
> be corroded?

I had a major service done on my car just before the trip to ND.  I asked
my mechanic which coolant he uses - he says he uses phosphate-free green
stuff, like Prestone or whatever - because ANYTHING else allows corrosion
up the ying-yang.  He says he has NO corrosion issues using green stuff,
and he sees the cars he services year-in and year-out...

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0