RE: 2 Questions!--Now octane

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ryan Catucci <rcatucci@highground.com>
To: '16v Jason' <jason@scirocco.org>
CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: 2 Questions!
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:39:14 -0400

<snip>
The 16V is designed to run on 91 and above (read owner's manual).  However,
it will run on anything down to 87 if necessary.  The problem is that the
knock sensor will retard ignition timing to avoid ping, and you'll lose
power *and* gas mileage.  FWIW I got 31-33mpg on the highway with my 16V
when it was stock and properly tuned.  I'm up to 33-34 because I swapped to
the 0.75 5th gear.
</snip>

I guess I should read the manual, I put in 87.  doh! I'll top it off with
93.  I can get 91 locally though so I'll use that after this tank is gone.
According to the p.o. the car has an FF code tranny in it; it revs a bit
over 3k at 80mph, it's hard to tell exactly cause the tach is a little
wobbly. I like it, though, it lessens the noise.

Jason, are you confusing RON octane with R+M/2 octane ratings?  All the
numbers listed on the car and in the VW materials are RON octane ratings.
Here in the US, gas stations use R+M/2 octane ratings which are different.
91 RON = 87 R+M/2.  That said, using higher octane gas in the 16v will keep
the knock sensor from retarding the timing and you will get more power.  But
running on 87 octane will not cause any real issues.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition