RE: 2 Questions!--Now octane

At 01:41 PM 6/8/2000 , Ian Overholt wrote:
> [...]

Hey Ian,
         :)  Deja vu?   Don't we go through this one like once a month? ;)

My manual uses "Pump Octane" to the best of my recollection (I don't have
the car or the manual here, they're at home).  The manual states that 87
should be used for the 8v, and 91 for the "123hp engine"... so I know
they're not talking about RON. :)

         You're right -- running on 87 pump octane won't cause any issues,
but it will most likely retard timing to avoid pinging.  I ran one tank of
89 and got the worst fuel economy ever (23mpg versus my usual 29-33).  The
engine sounded flat and power was drastically reduced.

YMMV.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro