RE: 2 Questions!

<snip>
The 16V is designed to run on 91 and above (read owner's manual).  However,
it will run on anything down to 87 if necessary.  The problem is that the
knock sensor will retard ignition timing to avoid ping, and you'll lose
power *and* gas mileage.  FWIW I got 31-33mpg on the highway with my 16V
when it was stock and properly tuned.  I'm up to 33-34 because I swapped to
the 0.75 5th gear.
</snip>

I guess I should read the manual, I put in 87.  doh! I'll top it off with
93.  I can get 91 locally though so I'll use that after this tank is gone.
According to the p.o. the car has an FF code tranny in it; it revs a bit
over 3k at 80mph, it's hard to tell exactly cause the tach is a little
wobbly. I like it, though, it lessens the noise.

>1. the floor behind my driver seat was wet this morning after a rain storm
>all night.  The two front sunroof drains aren't clogged as far as I can
>tell, and I can't see where the water came in.  Any thoughts?

Typical problem and can be from many places.  Check the vapor seals in the
door panel first.  Then, make sure the seal on the rear window is water
tight.  Chances are that one of those two is your problem.

I'll give those a look-see tonight and pray it's an easy fix.  I don't have
a garage for rainy days heheh

>2. A local guy apparently has a euro 50mm intake kicking around.  I haven't
>been around 16V performance much, but I hear this is a good thing to have.
>What exactly would it do to my stock 1.8 16V, and what do they usually run
>for a used example?

I don't have personal experience with it, but the European 1.8 16V had a
different intake cam, that intake, and no cats, and had less than 10hp
more.  Chances are that doing the intake alone won't do much of anything
except make the car more of a dog at low rpms without much of any
improvements in the upper rev ranges.  But that's my opinion and you might
want to wait to see what everyone else has to say about it.

Sounds fair.  I have to learn all this stuff; if it's VR6 performance, I can
drone on and on and on and on... oops, there I go heheh.  I figure if I do
anything, it'll be a freshened 2.0 block and maybe a port job on the head.

>Thanks to all who previously answered my questions and welcomed me to the
>list.  It sures beats the crap that sometimes flies on corrado-l and the
>gti-vr6 list :-)

Oh, you haven't seen crap fly until you've seen it fly on this list.  We're
only nice for a little while and then we get bitchy too. ;)

As long as I don't have to listen to a whiny G60 owner tell us all his stage
4 is really putting out 240hp, I'll be happy ;-)