Re: What is towing capacity?

>I just bought a 16' sailboat with a trailer.  I towed it home with my yota
>truck (215k miles)

Wow...  long trip home!  ;)

and came to the conclusion I would be better off with my
>Rocco.

I dunno...   is your Toyota a 4x4?  Power should be about the same, but
using 4 low (even with the hubs unlocked) on the boat ramp makes life easy.
Of course, with a VW being fwd, the front wheels *might* be far enough up
the ramp to be out of the slime.

And don't forget the truck is heavier, which will make things more stable
when cruising down the road

>Does anyone have expirience doing this?

I've towed a couple Beetles around with a VW pickup, but that was using a
tow bar so there was no tongue weight whatsoever.  Oh yeah, the pickup had a
16v  ;)

>-will the boat people with big V8 trucks laugh at me when I pull up to the
>ramp in a VW stickshift?

Yes, but who cares?  Big trucks aren't really cool unless they have tires
larger than 36" or a Cummins turbodiesel (or both)

John

lotsa stuff
http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm