Re: testing battery drain

In a message dated 6/5/00 8:48:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time, pellom@YorkU.CA
writes:

<< I decided to do a battery drain test and low and behold the light tester
 came on. I pulled a fuse and the light disappeared.(I ferget which fise)
 How do I check for a short?>>

Your not really checking for a short.  A short is when your positive circuit
is connected directly to ground.  This condition would typically not last
very long as the wire would get hot and usually melt or be glowing.

<<Where do I start looking?>>

You want to look at what that fuse that you pulled out is connected to.
Check your Bentley.

<< I also noticed that there was power passing through some of the fuses. Is
 that normal when a car is not running with no key in the ignition and the
 door shut.  ie. there was current running through the fuel pump fuse. Any
 ideas where to start? >>

I'm confused by what you mean by "power passing through".  There are a few
fuses that always have 12 volts on them.  If you touch a test light to either
end of the installed fuse and the other to ground, you will get your light to
turn on.  The trick is to remove the fuse and put your test light accross the
terminals that were holding the fuse.  If you get a light, then you have a
device that is using power.  Again, look at a (Bentley) schematic to see what
devices are connect to that particular fuse and try disconnecting each
device, one at a time.  (don't confuse current flow vs. voltage.  you can
have 12 volts on a wire but not be consuming any power)
HTH.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner