2.0 8v Swap question

Hey guys, just a quick queston for ya!

I am swapping in the 2.0 8v from a 97 Golf into my GF's 91 Cabby.  Can I
use the tranny from the Golf as well?  Is it wise or a better tranny than
what came in the GFs Cabby?  Also, I noticed that the Golf tranny has a
electronic pickup for the speedo, is there a gear driving it?  Will the
speedo cable from the cabby go in the same spot and work correctly?  I
know that I need to change the shift linkage parts(it's a non cable shift,
but has different pivot points than the cabby) and the backup light switch
is different, but neither of those pose a problem.  I would like to do the
motor and trans as a unit, as it keeps the clutch stuff easy.  I hope one
of you has the answer I need!

Eric

80 Rocco (Daily Driver)(!!!FOR SALE!!!)
81 Rocco S (2.0 16v swap and restore in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (Shiny and new, will make a good winter beater :-) )

-Kelli Fox