1984 Scirocco Info Wanted

Listers,

I saw a 1984 Scirocco for sale by the side of the road. A quick
look showed shiny paint and decent seats. The note on the
dashboard said lowered suspension (unknown make), extra set
of wheels, rebuilt (by who?) engine, $2600. The owner wasn't
around, so I have to go back.

My questions to the list are:
- what should I be looking for (i.e., what are the weak spots)?
- is the 8V that much slower/weaker/worse than the 16V?
   (I don't want to start another war, here)
- Kelly Blue Book retail suggests $1600 retail. What would make
   this worth $1000 more?

Thanks in advance.

Kent McLean
somewhere in NH, looking for a second car