Re: [non-Rocco] Oily spark plugs

Overfilling the oil level will usually send oil into the aircleaner and
cause this. Also you might want to do a compression test. If you have
anything lower than 140 PSI you might want to be concerned. If you DO have
low compression the next step is to perform a leakdown test and find out
where the compression is escaping. Another possible culprit is the valve
guide seals (not for the amateur). After time these seals can get old and
brittle and cause oil consumption through the intake valve guides. HTH and
Let us know what you find out.

>	While changing the spark plugs in my sister's Audi 4000 ('85 4cyl.
>auto) I noticed that three of the old four plugs came out with oil around
>the base. Does anyone know what this means? Also, there is a small pool of
>oil on the interior "cupped" part of the intake manifold. I checked the
>valve cover gasket and there are no leaks there, what else could be causing
>this??
>
>tia,
>

>___Wojciech Galecki___
>'84 8v Scirocco