Ignition switch....non roc....A2 Jetta

Some of you may have experience with this.....at least I hope so.  On the A2
Jetta I am working on. (1991 Jetta Carat)  I am trying to replace the
ignition switch.  I have bought a new one from the dealer, but have run into
a problem.  The steering column is not the same as the Rocco's I have.
There is a metal adapter/sleeve that is on the column, then a spring, then
the bearing that is part of the ignition switch/lock collar.  I can't seem
figure out how to remove this metal adapter/sleeve?  If anyone has any
insight I would be real happy!  This metal adapter/sleeve seems to have
grooves in it that slide onto the steering column (shaft),....which seems to
have ...........ahh hell,....I can' t even explain it.  Hopefully someone
knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Chris
Thanks,