Re: 16V Rev Limiter

At 10:39 PM -0700 7/16/00, Craig Williams wrote:
>Well that brings me to my question...On a 16V Scirocco with CIS-E, there is
>a rev limiter built in that cuts the fuel at 7200 RPM's. How do you disable
>this feature? Mine is kicking in at about 6900 RPM's (the stock RPM guage
>might be a little off.)

I went through this whole deal last year, and the short answer is that
you're stuck with the rev limiter.  The fuel pump relay may or may not have
a cutoff built into it, but nothing you do to the relay will let you rev
past 7200.  To find out for yourself, try jumping it and driving around.
You still won't get past 7200.  Brian Honnold posted a very elegant way of
disabling the fuel cutoff awhile ago (I still have it if anyone wants it),
which Chris and Shawn alluded to, but it doesn't appear to work for the
CIS-E setups found on 16v cars.  It gets rid of the soft cutoff and leaves
you with a harsh one that kicks in at exactly 7200.  Watching your car hit
that limiter while loaded down on the dyno is very, very unpleasant.  :P

>From what I can tell, the rev limiter lives in either the ECU or the
distributor.  The best info I have says that replacing the 16v distributor
with one from a Polo (convert from points if you want) will do the trick.
Who knows.....