Re: velocity limited slip kit / swapped 5th gear

I have both of these items in the '78.  The problem I had/have with
the Velocity kit was that I over torqued the hex bolt and stripped
the threads in the tranny.  Take your time and make sure everything
is clean, then the locktite should hold.  My car is very low and I
haven't had any issues with the bolts hitting.

And the .71 fifth gear is indeed awesome, especially when you down
shift next to a Mustang on the Turnpike and leave him in the dust.
:^O

> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: kevin f <aventari@detonate.net>
> Subject: velocity limited slip kit / swapped 5th gear
>
> I seem to remember someone here has had major problems w/ the Velocity Stage 2 diff kit (I think it was  Shawn)
> Could you tell me exactly what happened?
> If i rmember correctly-- on the 90mm flanges, the tapered hex bolt that holds the centre cap of the flange in, that bolt stuck out too far and would be hit by the CV of a lowered car?  or it would al>
> i just installed the kit, and when I put the centre cap and hex bolt in, the bolt head stuck up like 3-4mm's!!! even in the countersunk hole! it looked like an awful design, and that seems to be what> So I countersunk the cap a bit more, until when the
 bolt is installed, it's completely flush with the cap. (plus that will engage a lot more threads, hopefully curing the 'backing out' problem)  Then> Because I've heard it breaking in more peoples cars than just Shawns!

> any ideas??
>
> btw I also swapped my FF .71 gear into my new 9A tranny! woohoo! I cant wait for 2300 rpm at 65 mph and a close ratio 1st-4th :)  now i gotta put it all back in
>
> Kevin Fry
> 81 scirocco S

Ken Buck
Philly Region SCCA oldtimer
78 FSP VW Scirocco- 2000 PA State Solo II Champion
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car #12 (still 3rd in points)
84 VW Scirocco daily driver 235,000 miles and still screaming
66 Olds F-85- second owner, "the rally car"