RE: Clunking up front...CV's goin?

Title: RE: Clunking up front...CV's goin?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorel
To: Brett Van Sprewenburg
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: 7/17/00 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: Clunking up front...CV's goin?

--- Brett Van Sprewenburg <brett@netacc.net> wrote:
> >Hello everyone...I need some help.   I have been
> experiencing some clunking
> >in the front of the car when i take off at a light,
>  and also braking
> >(nearing the stop position). I was wondering if its
> what I think it is.  I
> >looked at my cv boot....and it has a small tear in
> it.  From what I have
> >experienced in the past...a small hole in the
> cv-boot might as well be a big
> >one...because the grease comes out,  and dirt goes
> in.
> >
> >Sooo...anyone have a drivers side cv joint/drive
> axle assembly they can part
> >with?  If not...the assembly runs like 320 smackers
> brand new (Ouchie).
> >
> >By the way..its a 16v car....so I believe they are
> 100mm chumpies.
> >
> >Thanks everyone...
> >
> >Joe Maahs
>
> Yeah, sounds like you should replace that CV joint.
> Many people have
> used reman axels/joints but there have been some
> repeated failures in
> that arena and I personally wouldn't suggest it.
> You can just buy the
> joint / boot to replace yours.  Contact Mark or Mike
> for a more inexpensive
> way of fixing this.
>
> However, this might not be the clunking you are
> hearing.  When the upper
> strut bearings get worn out, they stretch creating
> some 'slack'.  When
> you stop or turn or rapidly transition the car, that
> 'slack' is taken up
> and they clunk a little.  Are you still running the
> original suspension?
> If so, it's probably on it's last legs and needs
> updating.
>
> Good luck!
>
> ==Brett
>
>  \/  '84 Scirocco (ITB racer 2B) | "Hot VW's, take
> two home. They're small"
> \/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '85 Scirocco (Winter)
> | - brett@netacc.net

So did you replace the whole joint and then the sound went away?    If I don't have to replace the whole joint tell me soon!!   I was talking about this same kind of noise a week or so ago on the list, but am waiting for the cash to arrive before I can do anything.

Christopher
87 16V

A crack or rip in your cv boot means it should always
be replaced, so you got that part about losing grease
right. However, having gone through cv joint problems
in the past, I would say this doesn't sound like it
did for me. For me the cv joints made contiunous
noises as the car was moving. There was this thump,
thump sound as I went down the road. Its frequency
would increase at higher speeds and decrease during
decelleration. Brett's diagnosis sounds good to me,
for what that's worth.

Jorel Jackson
85 8v
87 16v