Re: Auto -> Manual Conversion

The swap you propose can be a serious undertaking without easy access to a
donor car for parts.  I have done this on A1 and A2 platforms, and
labour-wise it's not much worse than doing a clutch job.  It's tracking
down all the parts that you will need that's time consuming.

You will need the following (non-exhaustive list):

front, driver's side and rear mounts and supports (the rear transmission
bracket is the same on auto and manual, but the mount and support are
different.)

cover plate (or backing plate) for motor
flywheel, clutch components
all gear shift linkage, internal and external (good time to replace those
bushings)

centre console

complete pedal cluster including accelerator pedal (make sure that if you
have cruise/power steering you get a 5 speed that has the same)

accelerator cable, clutch cable

modifications may need to be made to throttle linkage - watch for
differences between Dijifant (if the car is so equipped) and CIS donors

a modification will have to be made to the steering rack to accomodate the
gear shift linkage (minor - bending of a bracket)

speedometer drive gear and cable

starter

in additon, modifications will have to be made to the vehichle's wiring
(neutral/park saftey start switch will have to be bypassed, starter
connections will have to be located to front of engine compartment)

And I'm sure that there's a few things I've forgotten, but this should
give you a good starting point.

Best of luck,

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed.)

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Christian Els wrote:

> Alright , I know someone out there has done this already, two of you have
> the T-shirt, and six made a webpage complete with pictures and VW part
> numbers for all the extras required to complete the job. Can you please
> point me to this website, or share your experiences as I debate taking on
> this project.
>
> I have a line on a 1990 Cabby for cheap but shifting is all slushy. I have a
> 4K under my deck waiting for a host body. Sounds like a match made in
> heaven, so far.
>
> Contra-pinions?
>
> TIA,
>
> tiAn
> stuff...

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca