Re: Things that confuse upshift indicators?

At 05:51 AM 7/14/00 -0700, you wrote:
>       This new 16v of mine wants me to go for sixth
>gear while I'm cruising down the highway. As you all
>know there is no sixth gear, so now I am wondering
>what might cause this. Tires? I am getting new ones
>today, 175/60/r14, the same size as the old tires.
>These are bigger than the stockers on the 8v, so maybe
>that is the cause, but I'm not sure since I don't know
>what a 16v came with from the dealer.
>
>	The next cause might be the tranny, which was said to
>be replaced 2,000 miles ago along with the clutch. It
>does feel nice but maybe the gear ratios are
>different?  Other than this, I can't think of anything
>else. It seems I remember reading somthing about this,
>but I can't remember where. What I remember was
>somthing about recalibrating the indicator. Has anyone
>out there done this? That might require a knowledge of
>gear ratios and such for correct settings? Maybe I
>should just turn the thing off, since I pay it very
>little attention in the first place?

  I always pull the control relay for the upshift light out.

  But if you want to repair it, the fix is most likely going to be
replacing the switch in the tranny The transmission switch senses 5th gear,
and grounds a signal wire that goes back to the upshift light relay. When
this wire is grounded, the relay does not turn on the shift light, since
the car is already in 5th. If you want to trouble shoot and make sure its
the relay, check the wiring diagram in the Bentley to see which wire goes
from the relay to the trans switch. Otherwise, just replace the trans
switch, as its the most likely cause of this.

Brad