Re: your mail

Actually, it sounds like this tube is the C0 sample port, which is a
feature on K-lambda and up VW's.  It is normally covered by a little blue
cap.  Although the tube itself seems to be stainless and lasts quite well,
the fitting at the manifold seems to rot out, resulting in a neat little
hole that allows exhaust gas to bypass your muffler... :)

AFAIK, only Automagic VW's ever used EGR systems.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:

> I was just looking through old messages and noticed that nobody answered
> this one, so I thought I'd give it my $.02, seeing as how I just did this:
> 	The tube you're talking about is the EGR (Exhaust Gas
> Recirculation) tube - block it off and forget about it : )
> 	Getting studs out of the head is a bitch - I decided to replace my
> head when that happened to me, but you don't have to. I'd have a machine
> shop do it, meaning take the head to them, meaning $100 worth of parts to
> replace the head gasket, bolts, washers, seals on the water fittings, etc.
> Hopefully someone knows of a better solution.
> 	I also had the crappy horrible 4 to one manifold, one of the
> biggest pieces of crap VW ever made - incredibly restrictive. I went with
> a ground out and slightly reshaped and ported 4-2 manifold into a custom
> 2-1 downpipe. I then had to fabricate an interesting flex joint, as well
> as getting poly front and rear mounts to keep the motor from moving around
> and breaking my downpipe. It was a pain in the ass, but it's all done now
> and I've got 2" mandrel bent back from there into a cheap ass AutoZone
> "Turbo" muffler. Should work well once I get it running right...
> 	HTH!
> 	-Josiah
>
> '84 GTi
> http://bork.hampshire.edu/josiah
>
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Keith Fullerton wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The 84 roc was getting very noisy so I decided to replace the exhaust
> > manifold gaskets. (I was told 4 years ago that they needed replacing).
> > I removed the intake manifold with out much difficulty. The exhaust
> > manifold was quite another matter. Two of the studs were already broken
> > and I broke a third. Four came out relatively simply and a fifth
> > required the dremel. Anyhow, once the manifold came off I noticed that
> > mine was missing something. Right above and slightly to the left of the
> > O2 sensor there looks like there is a place for a tube coming out of
> > the moanifold. Does anyone know what this is? And where the other end
> > attaches...I haven't noticed any other place that looks like it needs a
> > tube going into it and I couldn't find a good picture in Bently or on
> > the Ekta CD. It is a stock manifold (4 into 1) with the C-springs
> > holding it to the downtube. (And many thanks to whoever has the website
> > showing how to use a muffler clamp to remove the C springs!!)
> >
> > Also, I've read on the list that there are much better (higher
> > performance) manifolds than the 4 into 1. Unfortunately, I don't
> > remember what they are. Since I have the old one off, I want to replace
> > it. Any opinions on an inexpensive manifold upgrade? Any for sale? (Its
> > for the JH engine with standard head).
> >
> > TIA,
> > Keith
> >
> > 84 8v currently "under the knife"

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca