Re: Where to buy performance parts?

There should not need to be ANY changes to the stock CIS or K-LAMBDA Cis
to make a G-grind work.  The profile of the cam is such that it
provides increased power at all rpm's, but it also increases emissions
(which is why we didn't see it in North American cars.)

With CIS, moving more air past the airflow sensor plate results in more
fuel to the injectors.  A fully functioning stock fuel system will not
require modifications for a G grind to perform, although a free flowing
exhaust will definitely help.  Note that I'm not sure what the issues are
with a catalyst + G grind, although I did run this combo on my 84 GLI
years ago, I did not have to go through any tailpipe emissions.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:

> Could this be why my Rabbit is currently running like crap? It had a stock
> cam in it, and the head I got to replace it happened to have a G-grind in
> it, and now it runs like crap. I've tried screwing with the timing, the
> %CO adjustment on the fuel distributor (is there a better way to adjust
> fuel mixture?), and I've checked the valve timing about 8 million times -
> it's right. Do I need to do something to make it run right with a higher
> lift cam?
> 	-Josiah
>
> '84 GTi
> http://bork.hampshire.edu/josiah
>
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Stephygee wrote:
>
> > Take your pick (Neuspeed, Techtonics, Autotech), but most folks go with
> > Techtonics.  Just putting a cam in your engine without beefing up other
> > areas of your engine won't produce any noticeable results.  Installing a
> > fuel enrichment device (cam increases breathing, so you better have fuel to
> > match it) is the next step, and of course, you might want to get a free
> > flowing exhaust.
> >
> > The Spring 2000 issue of VW Power covers cam installs (albeit 16v Kent cam
> > install), and explains the necessity of the fuel enrichment module.  Excerpt
> > follows:
> >
> > ' If You've Got Air, You Still Need Fuel!
> >
> >     The Techtonics 16v Fuel Enrichment was important:  Sufficient fuel is a
> > must when moving to a hotter cam.  With the Euro intake cam, the added fuel
> > from the Techtonics unit is good for almost 12hp at the crank.  With the
> > Kent Cam's added breathing it was necessary to have the fuel injection
> > working with the Techtonics Fuel Enrichment.  Just as important, it's a
> > simple device that contains no complex electronics to fail and possibly
> > damage the expensive engine management unit.
> >     I did a dyno run without the fuel enrichment installed; it was about the
> > same on the bottom end until 3000 rpm, then it went flat.  Without the 16v
> > Fuel Enrichment, the Kent 258 degree cams barely put out the power of the
> > Euro-intake cam with the Fuel Enrichment.  That's an important lesson for
> > owners of 16v cars with CIS-e fuel injection.  No need to improve the
> > breathing unless you've got the fuel to match--it's that simple.'
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Steph

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca