Re: Mk1 vacuum/heater problem

Mark Burnham wrote:

> 1) How does the "vacuum unit for flap housing" work, and what
> exactly does the flap do?  Does it just re-route air from
> the A/C and the heater into the ventilation system?

    The housing takes air from the cowel when you have it on heat, but
once you move the level into the AC range, it closes the flap.

> 2) What does the "double vacuum unit" do? This is mounted
> to the side of, and at the top of, the evaporator housing.

    One of the two vacuum lines makes it so that you get some air out to
the feet, the 2nd one makes it so you get all the air out at the feet.
I think the side one is the halfway one, while the top makes it go up
all the way (all air gets to the feet).

> I'm guessing the heater valve is always open, and now that
> I have vacuum, the flap is always open, and that lets air
> from the heater in, so I get heat.  Is this right?  If so,
> I'm guessing either the "vacuum unit for flap housing" or the
> vacuum distribution valve is faulty.  Does this make sense?

     I had to replace my vacuum distributor, so if you are having
problems of that flap not moving, either your lines are missararnged,
you arent getting vacuum, or the distributor is hosed.  I suppose that
vacuum lifter unit could be busted too...

> I haven't looked at the heater control cable yet, but
> another guess is that it's either not there, or it's not
> closing the valve correctly.

     If heat is always there, chances are either the cable is either not
connected to the level in the car, or the valve thats on the hose, or
the valve itself is busted so even tho the wire moves the level on the
valve, the valve is stuck in the open position.  HTH...

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79