Re: Timing mark

I seem to remember somewhere that VW screwed up on the fly wheels for
some Sciroccos.  I don't know if they put it on backwards or what (and I
could be wrong, too...).  One way to tell what the 0 degree mark is would
be to pull off the timing belt cover, and on the engine side of the
camshaft sprocket you should see a "center punch mark" dimple thingie.
When this dimple is lined up with the top of the metal camshaft drivebelt
cover on the front of the engine, the engine will be at 0 degrees.

I pretty much pulled this straight out of the Bentley and used their
terminology.  If you have their manual, look on page 32  of section 5
(Engine and Clutch), which is the section for the timing belt
installation.  This will show you what I'm talking about.

HTH,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
'85 Jetta