RE: Timing mark

On all the german 8V 1.6 and 1.8 motors I have worked on TDC is a small
zero embossed into the flywheel.  The timing mark is a small V-shaped
notch that mirrors the pointer in the bellhousing.  There is at least one
square lug, maybe two, on the flywheel that are there for the magnetic
pickup used by VW's diagnostic computer to sense RPM.  I have heard that
some (1.7 ?) motors actually have a timing scale on the flywheel rather
than a timing mark.

On a JH, the timing spec should be @ 6 degrees BTDC, not 3 degress ATDC
(which sounds like a timing spec for an engine w/EGR - automatic
transmission, for example...?)  OF course, if you want to cobble your
engine's performance, set it to 3 degrees ATDC.... :)

Drew 84 (Wolfsburg Ed)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> On an 8v the TDC is a large lug, rotate the fly wheel till you see this
>
> /\
> \/
>
> it is only about one tooth movement on the timing belt.
>
> Julie Macfarlane
> '81 Scirocco (Mom)
> '83 Rabid GTI (Baby)
> '85 Jetta (Wolfsburg)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca