Re: Stainless Brake line install

My advise would be to soak them with Liquid Wrench, Rustoff or Kroil or
any of the other penetrating fluids available on the market.  WD40's
effectiveness as a penetrating oil falls somewhere between bat urine and
Coors Light (which is a pretty narrow margin, let me tell you... :) )

Flare wrenches are a must, to avoid rounding the fittings (don't even
think of using an open-ender.)  If the fittings are really corroded, you
may wish to start with a pair of Vice-grips that have nice, sharp teeth
still.  If the lines are really rusty, then as you turn the fitting you
may end up twisting the line as well, which then spells replacement, which
can be a real drag on these Scirocco's when you're working on the rear
lines, as they don't have proportioning valves like the Jettas (where
replacing a rear line means only a few feet of line, instead of the whole
length of the car.)

Good luck,

Drew
84 Wolfsburg Edition

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Rob Bisch wrote:

> I finally am going to attempt to install my SS brake lines.  I have soaked
> them with WD-40 with hopes that will help.  Does anyone have any other
> suggestions as to getting them off without having to cut the lines and
> replace all the hard lines.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca