Re: Brake update and paint (ORANGE?)

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, george curl wrote:

> 1. Get a double flair kit.  Fortunatly I had one in
> the box but be sure to know, single flairs will not
> work.  I spent over an hour today explaining to my
> brother the difference and another 30 mins setting up
> a test so he could see the results himself.

You can get a double flare kit.  And you can use a double flare kit.  But
if you value your life, I wouldn't use it on your VW.  Volkswagen uses an
ISO flare (sometimes called a bubble flare) on their brake lines.  VW has
a special tool to make the ends, Snap On and other specialty tool shops
sell ISO flaring kits.

Double-flared brake lines in ISO fittings will not stand up to vibration
the same as an ISO flare, and need to be excessively torqued (as the flare
is being deformed into the fitting) to stop leakage.  You will see a
noticeable difference between a used ISO flare and a double flare that has
been used with an ISO fitting.

YMMV, but I value my car (and its cargo even more.)

Drew
84 Wolfsburg Ed

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca