Re: smog.....check (long)

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> Well, I thought I'd share my good news with the people that will be most
> interested. It passed <snip>
> I'm happy.
>
> Jonas

Yeah, right before the ND show we took Al's car to ND to get it smogged.
It has a 1.7 in the 78 shell (cause it was easy and cheeeeep, that's
why) and the 'new' guy said it didn't have what a 78 should have so he
couldn't pass it. I asked him if it passes emission and he hadn't even
bothered so I had them hook it up to make sure the engine wasn't putting
out nasty stuff, and it would have passed except for the missing 78
equipment. <sigh>

Funny thing is it has all the 81 stuff from the other car, grrrr.  When
I dropped my GTI engine in my 81 it passed and I didn't get a bunch of
static about it. Make me wonder if these sting operations to catch
faking smog stations have created a climate of fear in the auto repair
industry.

Plan now is to take it to joe blow smog station and see what we can get
away with. Not to break the law, just to avoid the hassle. As an
enthusiast I often run across the 'Yank the Cat' talk but it's in my
best interest to have the car running efficiently, more fun that way.

TBerk