Re: Temp Light

In a message dated 7/1/00 11:36:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
scirocco_16v@yahoo.com writes:

<< After just getting my 16v last week, I was going a
 little crazy on it (kinda faster than my 8v), and I
 started having problems with the cooling system. I was
 on the highway about to get off and that's when I >>

Well I know this is basic but always start with the basic.  What is the level
of the coolant?  When that little light flashes that usually indicates that
the coolant level is low.   If it is low then why is it low.  There must be a
leak someplace, but where?  Fill it back up with water to see where it might
be leaking.

 If you don't see it leaking anywhere it might be leaking from the headgasket
into the engine.  Is there any steam noticed in your exhaust, or check the
oil fill and look inside, does it look milky or in the coolant tank does the
coolant look oily. So if you see this than this is probably your problem and
you can stop there. But wait...

There is no coolant leaking and you are not loosing water.  And you are not
overheating anymore but the light still comes on, the sensor might be faulty.

But if you are still overheating. Next step would be to check the thermostat.
 Is it stuck closed does it work properly? So you tested it, and it works
fine but you still over heat.

Then comes the water pump is it pumping I think you can look at the water
pump while your changin the thermostat and see if it is in good condition.

In your case i would not suspect the fan switch or fan because you said it
happened while you were on the highway, and when you are on the highway the
airstream from the car moving at speed provides the radiator with the air to
cool. ie. the fan would not be on anyway while you are driving on the
highway.

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html