Re: PROBLEM! I'm stumped

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 SubConSk8@aol.com wrote:

> [...] Then I noticed that the cloth-covered rubber hose running from the
> radiator to the coolant reservoir was all frayed and damaged...This hose is
> the one that looks like the cloth/rubber vacuum hoses, but it is about 1/4"
> in diameter...

As a point of comparison, my '86 8V (also black :) has a plain old rubber
hose here, the same as all the other coolant tubes (at least in my car).
I have no idea if it's original (the coolant tubes themselves appeared to
be so, when I first got the car). Cloth would probably be nice, in a way,
since it'd make working around that tube when it's hot a bit easier.

> So, I thought I'd head over to Bow Wow auto parts and pick up a
> new hose...Well, on the way I had a problem...Car started fine...So I started
> driving...But then, the first time I pushed the clutch in before I came to a
> complete stop, the car died...and then it started and idled fine...So I just
> kept going...Then, next time I stopped, same thing, it died...Any ideas?

Well, being a novice at all this, I'd rather not hazard a guess, but it
sounds like something with the idle air bypass valve. Is it possible for
it to "stick" or it the opening entirely governed by what the adjusting
screw is set at? It sounds like you suddenly lose air flow through the
air flow sensor when coming to a stop...

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html