PROBLEM! I'm stumped

Ok...If you have been paying attention to my posts lately, you will know that
I have been having a rough idle problem...So, to correct this, I replaced the
O2 sensor and all the vacuum hoses...THis didn't fix it...Today I was working
on the car...I took off the upper timing belt cover to look at the timing
belt to check whether I needed to replace it...Then I put the cover back
on...Then I noticed that the cloth-covered rubber hose running from the
radiator to the coolant reservoir was all frayed and damaged...This hose is
the one that looks like the cloth/rubber vacuum hoses, but it is about 1/4"
in diameter...So, I thought I'd head over to Bow Wow auto parts and pick up a
new hose...Well, on the way I had a problem...Car started fine...So I started
driving...But then, the first time I pushed the clutch in before I came to a
complete stop, the car died...and then it started and idled fine...So I just
kept going...Then, next time I stopped, same thing, it died...Any ideas?

Stephen Mull
'86 8v Rocco Black
Seattle, WA