Re: clutch cable shattered

The clutch cable is pretty easy to change, especially if the adjuster
still works.  The following applies to manually adjusted cables:

If possible, tun the adjuster to shorten the outer housing (lengthen the
cable) until there is enough slack in the cable to remove the clip and
rubber bushing form the clutch lever on the side of the transaxle (working
from the top of the engine compartment).  Pay attention to the orientation
of the parts - there's a rubber bushing that fits into the oblong hole on
the clutch lever, a metal spacer that the bushing fits into, then a
slotted clip that has a dent that fits the end of the clutch cable and
holds it against the lever.

If you're definitely junking a FUBAR cable, cut the cable between the
adjuster and the clutch lever with a pair of cutters, paying attention to
where the retaining clip, spacer and bushing fall... :)  If the adjuster
is siezed but you're hoping to save the cable for an emergency spare, use
a jack to actuate the clutch lever to provide enough cable slack to remove
the retaining clip.

Inside the car, remove the lower dash shelf, or tray for access to the top
of the clutch pedal linkage.  Often you can push the clutch cable from the
transmission end to unhook the eye from the hook on the clutch pedal.  If
not, then actuate the pedal while holding the cable end to unhook it.

Remove the clutch cable from the engine compartment.  Install the new
cable (some anti-sieze or grease around the bushing that goes through the
firewall will aid future removal, if required).

Working inside the car, hook the new cable's eye over the hook on the
clutch pedal lever.

Working from the engine compartment, install the transmission end of the
cable down through the rubber bushing and the clutch lever on the
transmission.  With maximum cable length you should be able to install the
rubber bushing and retaining clip with nothing more than light hand
pressure lifting on the lever.  If you haven't done this before you'll
probably find it easier to do from underneath the car.

Adjust the cable using the large white plastic knob to achieve a distance
of 12mm between the cable adjuster and the casting on the side of the
trasnmission where the clutch cable goes through.  Lock the adjuster with
the 15mm or 17mm nut.

Re-install the under-dash tray or shelf (you may wish to apply some
lithium grease to the hook on the clutch pedal and the bushings if you
have a squeaking pedal.)

Hope you find this info helpful.

Drew  (84 Wolfsburg Ed.)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 DNK006@aol.com wrote:

> the outer housing part (plastic) of my clutch cable broke! doh!!! it's too
> freekin cold!!!  but does anyone have a simplified (easy) way to change this
> freekin thing? it looks as if it is rather hard to change.  Any help much
> apreciated
> Thanks
> Ben
> 84 8v

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca