Re: Will 195-60-14's fit on my 84 GTI Stock rims???

I would recommend the 195/55 ZR (SP 8000) by Dunlop as a replacement for the
stock 185/60.  The sidewall of the 185/60 is 111 mil. the 195/55 has 107 mil
and the 195/60 has 117.  The 195/55 would be closer to the stock size and be
slightly lower profile.  I've been riding on the SP 8000's for a while now
and they're really great grippy tires and they were only about $70 each from
Tire Rack.  The only downside is that they're not mud/snow rated, but
they're great in the rain.  I have also had 205/55's from Yokohama.  They
also fit fine on my stock teardrops, probably the same size as the GTI rims.
They were a lot more money, $125 each and rubbed against my factory splash
guards but only on a full turn.  The sidewall on those are the closest to
stock with 112.5 mil.  Those have an m/s rating if I remember correctly and
have a VR speed rating.  That was the factory size on the later A2 GTI's
with the 2.0 16V.

HTH.

- Jan Folkson

'86 16V