RE: Why my '81 16v won't start? [long]

> >Lets say something were permanently grounding the coil. The >following
>symptoms would arise: Constant voltage at the coil when the >ignition is on
>as well as when the starter is cranking...
>
>Yup

Good.

>Did you get my e-mail I shot at you 2 weeks ago? Well, here it is again,
>expressing the same thoughts.

No. Silly me.

>I was looking at the current flow diagrams for my 85 last night and
>thought, "well, let me see if I can look at the ignition system to see if I
>can figure out what's wrong with Dave's Mk1 16v conversion."
That's what I think every day.

>To me this sounds like a problem originating at terminal 1 of the coil.
>Terminal 1 is what is grounded to give a spark. Either it is not bing
>grounded by the ICU, or it is already grounded.

Since all ICU components and connections check out Ok and they worked in the
Jetta, I'm to believe they are not at fault.

I have a feeling the coil is being permanently grounded by the red/bk wire
heading towards the tach.

On my Bentley, that red/bk wire goes into the fuse box at C19 (I have
continuity from coil to fuse box.

Also, I have continuity from this wire to chassis ground (which means
something's screwy).

It says that wire comes back out of the fuse box at D15 and goes to the
multi-point connector at the back of the inst cluster.

I've tried starting my car with that red/bk wire cut at the coil and with
the instrument cluster taken completely out and unattached.

It also comes out of the fuse box at A5 and then right back in at A3 (the
recall VW made) which goes to the solenoid of the fuel pump relay. What is
the purpose of this? To tell the fuel pump to turn on when it finds a
ground? The ground it will find will be when the ICU tells the coil to make
a spark, no?

I'm confused on that part.

>For the ICU, I know you said that it worked in the Jetta, but did you use
>the connector from the Scirocco, or from the Jetta, the pin pattern might
>not be the same, leading to missing connections.

I used the entire 16v harness from the Jetta. the only splice in points were
at the coil, and a two position connector with a green and red wire. I'm
still not sure what that t2 was.

>That's what I can think of.
>If none of that works, I'd start pulling in new wires for the ignition
>system until I found what was wrong.
>HTH, and LMK what happens."

I was thinking of putting in an entirely new loom for the "C" position on
the back of the box, but then it occured to me how much a new one would cost
(if available), and also a used one would be just as old and unreliable as
any 20/yr old harness.
It's gotta be easier than replacing a whole loom, anyhow.

eh?

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v (Winnie)
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon (Evelyn)