Re: Why my '81 16v won't start? [long]

I know this is a long shot but have you tried taking out the distrubutor and
rotating it with the ignition on? Does the rotor turn when you crank the
engine over?

>>Dave I was open minded until the talk of hall Sensors and the previous
>>problem was mentioned.
>>
>>my original motor (81 1.7L) started working funny one morning on the way
>>to work. Worse and worse until it wouldn't run under a certain RPM.
>>Finally quit just as it pulled into the parking lot at work. (Fateful
>>VW, love em.)
>>
>>Even though the Hall Sensor passes tests it may not be passing enough
>>voltage for a good signal to be registered by the ECU and such. In my
>>case the wires were old and fried from age and heat and even soldering
>>would not bring it back. I ended up replacing the distributor as a
>>whole. Hall Sensor refurbishment kits are available, I didn't know ol'
>>potter folk at the time.  :)
>
>Ok... here's the thing, tho... The 16v 1.8 I popped in there ran like a
>dream in the Jetta it came from. I'm obviously using the same hall sender
>and all.. The 16v ran great up until I started taking it apart. Yes, I
>meticulously labeled all wire connectors and all.. I spliced the harness
>into the Scirocco per Brian Honnold (and if he doesn't know what he's
>doing,
>noone does).
>
>The thing that throws me is the same problem exists in my '81 Scirocco with
>both the old 8v and the new 16v (did I mention that I got the 16v engine to
>sputter and almost catch a couple times by flooring the gas pedal? weird?
>yes?).
>
>If the car ran fine up until the swap, I'd be having a different opinion.
>
>I'm really really convinced the engine is fine.
>
>I would get a new hall sender to try and prove to you all that it's not the
>problem, but I just dropped a lot of money on books for this semester, and
>well.. I just don't have any left to throw towards my car at this point in
>the year. Summer will be a different story.
>
>-Dave
>'81 Scirocco 16v (Winnie)
>'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon (Evelyn)

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco