RE: Tune Up Opinions

Jason wrote:
>I am giving my 87 16v Roc a tune up. It's about time...
>Anyway, I want to spend a semi-ridiculous amount of money on the
>tune up parts...Any ideas on what brands I should go with.
>
>K&N Air filter ?
Great, never needs replacing. Flows well too.

>Bosch Oil Filter ?
Mann is good, basically anything *but* FRAM filters is OK (within reason)

>Triple Prong Bosch ?
Plugs are a bit of a personal choice. OE Bosch have worked great for me.
I tried the Platinum +4's and they sucked ass, stay away from the Silbers
too.

>NGK Wires ?
Hmmm, not sure. I've got "Blue Ignitors" based on the fact that Rapid
Parts make them but TT has hailed them as excellent. Might not make a
difference.

>Fuel Filter ? Mann ? Bosch ?
I'd use Bosch.

>Distributor cap & rotor ? (distributor is brand spanking new)
Bosch

>Oil ? (I am in MASS. so it is pretty darn cold)
Your choice again. 10W-40 or 15W-40 of your brand of choice should work
just fine.

>What's the square root of 625 ?
25 (and I didn't even need a calculator)

>What you think ?
Talk to Mark @ Adirondack (he's closer to you) or Mike @ virtual world.
They will get you all your tune up parts at great prices. Basically
stick with OE parts for tune ups, as VW did alot of thinking into
reliability when choosing its parts. Just don't buy them from the
dealer.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0