Re: Why my '81 16v won't start? [long]

>Dave I was open minded until the talk of hall Sensors and the previous
>problem was mentioned.
>
>my original motor (81 1.7L) started working funny one morning on the way
>to work. Worse and worse until it wouldn't run under a certain RPM.
>Finally quit just as it pulled into the parking lot at work. (Fateful
>VW, love em.)
>
>Even though the Hall Sensor passes tests it may not be passing enough
>voltage for a good signal to be registered by the ECU and such. In my
>case the wires were old and fried from age and heat and even soldering
>would not bring it back. I ended up replacing the distributor as a
>whole. Hall Sensor refurbishment kits are available, I didn't know ol'
>potter folk at the time.  :)

Ok... here's the thing, tho... The 16v 1.8 I popped in there ran like a
dream in the Jetta it came from. I'm obviously using the same hall sender
and all.. The 16v ran great up until I started taking it apart. Yes, I
meticulously labeled all wire connectors and all.. I spliced the harness
into the Scirocco per Brian Honnold (and if he doesn't know what he's doing,
noone does).

The thing that throws me is the same problem exists in my '81 Scirocco with
both the old 8v and the new 16v (did I mention that I got the 16v engine to
sputter and almost catch a couple times by flooring the gas pedal? weird?
yes?).

If the car ran fine up until the swap, I'd be having a different opinion.

I'm really really convinced the engine is fine.

I would get a new hall sender to try and prove to you all that it's not the
problem, but I just dropped a lot of money on books for this semester, and
well.. I just don't have any left to throw towards my car at this point in
the year. Summer will be a different story.

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v (Winnie)
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon (Evelyn)