Re: O2 and it's Pros & Cons (8V)

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Open Question for the list-
>
> Why would having an O2 Sensor in your car's fuel
> system be a good thing?
>
>  What are any (if any) drawbacks to having it, say
> vs the earlier
> systems without.
>
> Street motors and daily driver systems are the
> focus, performance &
> efficiency are paramount.
>
> Hmmm?,
> TBerk

I'm not sure if the O2 on the the Scirocco 8V has any
performance advantage over the non O2 cars. I
understand that the motivation for using O2 sensors
was to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

Performance wise, looking at the systems as delivered
on the car, a big disadvantage of the O2 equiped cars
compared to the Non-Cat models (1977?, 1978,1979) is
that the O2 cars had CATs.

I suppose you could put the O2 system on a car that
did not have it (for example 1978) but not use a cat.
But I'm not sure that there would be any measurable
performance advantage. The certainly would be added
expense (O2 sensors) and headaches (installation).

The last paragraph is purely my opinion :-)

Obviously, using the later CIS-E that was used on
Scirocco 16V and early A2 GTI, Jetta 2 GLi and Golf GT
models would require the 02 sensor and yield
performance gains.

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)