[mk2 8v, tech] replacing battery ground strap

Hi, I want to replace the ground strap from my battery on my 1986 8v. The
one on there right now is mostly a bare wire (is that the way it's
supposed to be?), something around gauge 4. After leaving the battery,
it's leads under the air filter housing (where it's wedged nice and tight
between it and the battery tray) and ends up connected to the
transmission.

Replacing it isn't so much the problem as getting access to where it
connects and getting it unwedged. How can I move the air box? The only
possible way I can see to get it out involves prying on the front of it to
release the two plastic nubs which keep it in place. I haven't actually
been able to get them to release, and I don't want to break the whole
thing by prying too hard; is there an easy way to get it out of the way?

Thanks,
Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html