Re: 78/81 comparison?

--- Vaughn8v@aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time,
> type53@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << > Actually, ALL cars with an O2 sensor have
> electronic
>  > egnition. So this
>  > actually does in a way have everything to do with
>  > the ignition.  (US)
>
> << True, yes. But the ignition on the 1981 Scirocco
>  recieves no input from the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor
>  effects the fuel mixture. >>
>
> ...the fuel mixture which the O2 sensor helps
> optimize so it can be properly
> ignited...  so, I would have to agree with Chris, it
> is very pertinent to
> ignition.  :)
>
> Ben

The ignition on a 1981 Scirocco is not affected at all
by the O2 sensor. Whether or not the car's fuel
mixture is affected by an O2 sensor has nothing to do
with the performance of the ignition.

The actual combustion in the motor is affected by the
O2 sensor, but this would be true if the igntion was
electronic (Hall) or points.

If anybody still does not get it, please email me
privately :-)

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)