Electrical gremlins - continued. (err... again!)

I think I found a bad ground...

So I get a call from my friend at Autothority after they looked at my
Scirocco.  Ultimately, they said that there is some of my rewiring that
really needs to be redone before they can really check anything (this
would be about 5 years worth of "fix on the fly" wiring that really
should be cleaned up but I just never got to it), and were willing to
completely rewire the car for many $'s.  I appreciate there honestly, but
ouch(!) I'm not going to do anything like that without a fight.  I go
over there and talk to the guy a bit and he suggests that I clean up the
wiring and take it from there.

On the drive back, my alternator light starts flickering with occasional
power surges.  About a mile from home, it runs very rough and then dies.
I called my roommate to come over and then start fiddling with the car.
It turns out that a bracket on my oil cooler sawed it's way through the
plug for the alternator, completely frying the plug.  by the time my
roomie came over I had decided that all I need to do is put in a new
battery to get the rest of the way home.  Since my Jetta is at my dad's
house (I need new rear brakes) I couldn't get that battery.  The father's
Miata (which I have been running around in) has one of those funky
batteries that I didn't feel right about using.  my other roommate's
Honda Accord would be a bad idea because she just bought it new last week
and would probably kill me.  so we run back to our place and and take the
battery from his (and I know I'm going to catch Hell for this one) Honda
Civic and plugged it in (not without a serious fight from Fritz, though.
the clamps didn't want to fit on a Honda battery...).  but I drove Fritz
home, and he is now awaiting a new alternator plug.

On this note, should I replace the alternator too, or should it be
alright?

B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
'85 Jetta