Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

    > What exactly is a thermo-time switch and what does it do ?
>does it ever go bad and what happens if it does ?

As per Haynes.

A manual named after underwear. ;)

The thermo-time switch which is mounted on the cylinder head coolant
outlet
inhibits the
oxygen sensor system when the engine is cold and the sensor signal is
unstable.

This si incorrect. The Lambda switch is the one I thin you are referring to
here.

A faulty thermo -time
    switch can also prevent proper operation at normal operating
temperatures.

This is true. I have never seen nor heard of this ever happening. But
anything is possible.

To check it.  you will need a multimeter.

Yes or a test light.

Remove the wiring connector and test for continuity between the two
terminals on the switch. When the
coolant temperature is below 63F (cold engine), THERE SHOULD BE CONTINUITY.
When the coolant temperature is at normal operating temp THERE SHOULD BE NO
CONTINUITY.

Correct

    If either test fails replace the switch.

I really sugest you go and buy the service manual for your car before
attempting to troubleshoot anything.

I agree. But, get a Bentley not a Haynes ;)

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco