Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Chris DeLong wrote:

> This sender is your coolant temperatur sender for the computer.

The official name, as I figured out tonight, is the OXS thermoswitch, and
it's supposed to be connected (as mine wasn't).

> If this is not hooked up it will cause the engine to run VERY poorly! I
> think it has a blue plug connected to it. The sender I think is white,
> correct? Not having this connected will make you think you are driving
> an underpowered lawn tractor in 2 feet of grass.

I don't think it was that bad, but the mileage has been relatively poor
(compared to figures people have quoted for their own cars); I'm getting
around 19 mpg since getting the car. If this doesn't help, I may replace
the oxygen sensor, and if that doesn't help I may look into whether the
catalytic convertor is in good health (should check it anyway).

Anyway, tonight I went tracing through the cabling harnesses, and found,
dangling behind my tranny, the connectors for the thermoswitch, with the
right coloured wires and everything. Hooked 'em up so hopefully I'll see
some differences.

Driving home tonight, it seemed smoother, but that could be because I
adjusted my ignition timing. Before adjustment the timing mark on the
flywheel was about 5 degrees to the right of marker on the bell housing of
the tranny; was it igniting too early or too late (I'm not sure which
direction the flywheel turns)?

Thanks!
Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com