RE: 8&16v graph question

The 8v transmissions have wider-spaced ratios, and the 8v is (IIRC) about
200lbs lighter. Though the close-ratio transmission on the 16v is better
once you're moving, the first gear (or two?) on the 8v are deeper, giving
you better mechanical advantage to convert torque into forward motion.
Wheels also make a difference. The stock 16v teardrops seem to be made of
pig iron! My friend's 8v is always at least equal to my 16v off the line, if
not ahead. Especially in 1st gear. Once I get towards the middle/top of 2nd
gear, though, it's all over...(both stock engines)

I would also guess that these are European-spec motors. In the US, the 16v
makes about 124hp, and the 8v drops to somewhere in the mid 90's. I would
guess that the curves are pretty much the same, though.

Neal