> > --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

> looking
> > > into
> on
> electronic
> is
> > > that
> > >
> > > While it's true you can just dial it in as a
> bigger
> > > 78, wouldn't it be
> > > that much better to graft the larger GTI fuel
> dist
> > > over as well? Since
> > > it comes with the frequency valve then were are
> > > going whole hog and
> > > enabling the O2 as well.
> > >
> > > To quote John Witherspoon in 'Boomerang';
> "...But
> > > you can't stop there,
> > > you have to keep on going, You have to
> > > co-Ordinate..."
> > >
> > > TBerk  :)
> >
> > The question was 1981 ignition into the 1978.
> >
> > On the fuel side, I was not aware of any output
> > difference between a 1978 fuel distributor and a
> 1981
> > fuel distributor.
> >
> > I am not an expert on CIS FI, so please educate me
> on
> > this as well: I did not know that the "GTI"
> > distributor was bigger than a "non-GTI"
> distributor.
> > Please elaborate . . . (which GTI are we talking
> about
> > here?)
> >
> > =====
> > Mark Peele
>

> My bad, the GTI ref is based upon another recent
> thread; "What should I
> put in my 82 mk2?" Sorry. Nonetheless believe (hold
> on while I
> check).... Yep I was right; All 81 and later ( and
> all 80 and later cars
> sold in California ), come with an O2.

This is true. But who cares? It has nothing to do with
the ignition.

> The 78 didn't have it. I'd recommend swapping the
> whole gas and > management systems over into the 78
as a unit; > engine, electronics, fuel
> system (the parts in the engine bay).

This, IMHO, is a waste of time. Very little
performance advantage and a big headache - especially
if your keeping the 1457cc 1978 motor.

> Thems my thinks, And I'll verify the 81 has the
> larger fuel dist vs a
> 78.

Not true.

HTH

:-)

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)