Re: 78/81 comparison?

Mark Peele wrote:

> --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Mark Peele wrote:

> > into
> > that
> > > Mark Peele
> >
> > While it's true you can just dial it in as a bigger
> > 78, wouldn't it be
> > that much better to graft the larger GTI fuel dist
> > over as well? Since
> > it comes with the frequency valve then were are
> > going whole hog and
> > enabling the O2 as well.
> >
> > To quote John Witherspoon in 'Boomerang'; "...But
> > you can't stop there,
> > you have to keep on going, You have to
> > co-Ordinate..."
> >
> > TBerk  :)
>
> The question was 1981 ignition into the 1978.
>
> On the fuel side, I was not aware of any output
> difference between a 1978 fuel distributor and a 1981
> fuel distributor.
>
> I am not an expert on CIS FI, so please educate me on
> this as well: I did not know that the "GTI"
> distributor was bigger than a "non-GTI" distributor.
> Please elaborate . . . (which GTI are we talking about
> here?)
>
> =====
> Mark Peele

My bad, the GTI ref is based upon another recent thread; "What should I
put in my 82 mk2?" Sorry. Nonetheless believe (hold on while I
check).... Yep I was right; All 81 and later ( and all 80 and later cars
sold in California ), come with an O2.

The 78 didn't have it. I'd recommend swapping the whole gas and
management systems over into the 78 as a unit; engine, electronics, fuel
system (the parts in the engine bay).

Thems my thinks, And I'll verify the 81 has the larger fuel dist vs a
78.
TBerk