Re: 78/81 comparison?

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Mark Peele wrote:
> >
> > --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

> into
> > > buying a 78 but i was
> > > intake manifold and headers,
> > > ignition from my 81 into the
> that
> > > to switch?

> > > This is easy-
> > >
> > > 1. No Problem.
> > > 2. No Problem.
> > > 3. No Problem.
> > >

> > > 2. Electronic ignition is an easy update. Keep
> in
> > > mind the early cars w/
> > > points have a resistive wire from the fuse box
> > > the coil. Often it is
> > > colored violet/white. Clipping it short to the
> fuse
> > > box, leaving enough
> > > to grip onto, and replacing it with standard
> copper
> > > wire will get around
> > > it. Mounting the O2 sensor brain & ECU for the
> > > point-less dist. (I kill
> > > myself sometimes), can be fun but not difficult.
> > >

> <snip>
>
> > All the above is great except that you don't need
> > worry about the Oxygen sensor brain. The
> Electronic
> > ignition stands alone and can be grafted into the
> car
> > with no problems. I have done this to two
> Sciroccos,
> > most recently Kristen's 1978 Scirocco.
> >
> > =====
> > Mark Peele
>
> While it's true you can just dial it in as a bigger
> 78, wouldn't it be
> that much better to graft the larger GTI fuel dist
> over as well? Since
> it comes with the frequency valve then were are
> going whole hog and
> enabling the O2 as well.
>
> To quote John Witherspoon in 'Boomerang'; "...But
> you can't stop there,
> you have to keep on going, You have to
> co-Ordinate..."
>
> TBerk  :)

The question was 1981 ignition into the 1978.

On the fuel side, I was not aware of any output
difference between a 1978 fuel distributor and a 1981
fuel distributor.

I am not an expert on CIS FI, so please educate me on
this as well: I did not know that the "GTI"
distributor was bigger than a "non-GTI" distributor.
Please elaborate . . . (which GTI are we talking about
here?)

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)