Re: 78/81 comparison?

Mark Peele wrote:

> --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > chris wrote:
> > >
> > > i had an 81 that was totaled and im looking into
> > buying a 78 but i was
> > > wondering how easy or if possible to bolt on
> > intake manifold and headers,
> > > and  how difficult it is to put the electronic
> > ignition from my 81 into the
> > > 78? and also my 5spd tranny how difficult is that
> > to switch?
> > > chris
> > >
> > > ____________________________________
> >
> > This is easy-
> >
> > 1. No Problem.
> > 2. No Problem.
> > 3. No Problem.
> >

> > 2. Electronic ignition is an easy update. Keep in
> > mind the early cars w/
> > points have a resistive wire from the fuse box to
> > the coil. Often it is
> > colored violet/white. Clipping it short to the fuse
> > box, leaving enough
> > to grip onto, and replacing it with standard copper
> > wire will get around
> > it. Mounting the O2 sensor brain & ECU for the
> > point-less dist. (I kill
> > myself sometimes), can be fun but not difficult.

<snip>

> All the above is great except that you don't need to
> worry about the Oxygen sensor brain. The Electronic
> ignition stands alone and can be grafted into the car
> with no problems. I have done this to two Sciroccos,
> most recently Kristen's 1978 Scirocco.
>
> =====
> Mark Peele

While it's true you can just dial it in as a bigger 78, wouldn't it be
that much better to graft the larger GTI fuel dist over as well? Since
it comes with the frequency valve then were are going whole hog and
enabling the O2 as well.

To quote John Witherspoon in 'Boomerang'; "...But you can't stop there,
you have to keep on going, You have to co-Ordinate..."

TBerk  :)