Re: 78/81 comparison?

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> chris wrote:
> >
> > i had an 81 that was totaled and im looking into
> buying a 78 but i was
> > wondering how easy or if possible to bolt on
> intake manifold and headers,
> > and  how difficult it is to put the electronic
> ignition from my 81 into the
> > 78? and also my 5spd tranny how difficult is that
> to switch?
> > chris
> >
> > ____________________________________
>
> This is easy-
>
> 1. No Problem.
> 2. No Problem.
> 3. No Problem.
>
> 1. The car won't know it's a 78 for the intake or
> exhaust manifolds.
> (For the most part, since i am slightly ignoring
> antismog piping and
> such.) I figure the bolt on part is same same.
>
> 2. Electronic ignition is an easy update. Keep in
> mind the early cars w/
> points have a resistive wire from the fuse box to
> the coil. Often it is
> colored violet/white. Clipping it short to the fuse
> box, leaving enough
> to grip onto, and replacing it with standard copper
> wire will get around
> it. Mounting the O2 sensor brain & ECU for the
> point-less dist. (I kill
> myself sometimes), can be fun but not difficult.
>
> 3. The 5 speed linkage has a few different parts
> like the arm on the
> bottom of the vertical shaft, near the firewall. It
> is slightly
> different compared to the 4 sp version. Also the rod
> from said vert.
> shat to the Trans is slightly different in length.
> [Note- one end is NOT
> 90 degrees.] Perhaps the motor mounts might be
> different on the trans
> but what the hey.
>
> I can prob cough up a diagram for you about grafting
> the electricals if
> you'd like, I did half of it a few months and need
> to finish off the
> rest before the end of Jan. Smog don'tcha know.

All the above is great except that you don't need to
worry about the Oxygen sensor brain. The Electronic
ignition stands alone and can be grafted into the car
with no problems. I have done this to two Sciroccos,
most recently Kristen's 1978 Scirocco.

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)