Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Sonic Druid wrote:

>  What exactly is a thermo-time switch and what does it do ?
>  does it ever go bad and what happens if it does ?

It's a component of the cold-start enrichment system of the fuel injection
system. From Bentley:

When the engine is cold the [thermo-time switch] is closed, allowing power
to reach the [cold-start valve] and open it. When the engine is warm, the
switch is open and the valve does not operate.

Presumably both the thermo-time switch and the cold-start valve can go
bad, though I don't know how common this is. They can be tested if you're
having cold-start or hot-start problems.

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html