[tech] thoughts on replacing thermostats

I'm going to be draining my coolant sometime soon to do something about a
water pump leak, and I'm wondering if it's worth lowering the temperature
of the thermostat (coolant and fan) whiles it's drained. I suppose it
depends on the type of driving I do (city and highway, mostly city; no
racing yet). It's a pretty simple performance boost, I guess. Are there
any downsides?

Per Schroeder's book seems to recommend a 180 degF (82 degC) thermostat.
Though I could probably find one locally with a bit of work, the local Bow
Wow Parts sells a 176 degF (80 degC) thermostat for the Scirocco. Only 4
degF lower; would that be fine?

Thanks!
Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com