Hard Cold Starting

My car is really hard to start when it has been sitting for a while and it is
real cold out. If the temperature outside is warm it will start right up. If
the temp. outside is cold but the car is warm it will start right up too. I
did the cold start valve check, as described in the Bentley, and it was
working just fine. What else could cause me to have to crank the car like
8-10 times before it will start when it's cold? It also idles like crap all
the time. The idle constantly fluctuates, sometimes the car almost stalls.
Could these two problems be related? I have CIS-e...

Justin
'86 Scirocco 16v 2.0L